Founded in 1948, Fox Chapel Country Day School (FCCDS) began with eighteen children in a nursery school class, housed on the third floor of the Fox Chapel Community Church building (now Christ Church Fox Chapel). Throughout the 1950’s, the search began for a permanent location for the school, as well as adding a grade level each year to grow the school through fifth grade.
In 1960, Richard K. Whiteman was appointed Head of School, a tenure that would last for 40 years. The school continued to grow enrollment and nurture students as a place to learn and develop.
In 1970, FCCDS became accredited by the Pennsylvania Association of Private Academic Schools (PAPAS). While continuing to share space with the Church, the School reconfigured the facilities to suit its needs.
In 1998, Fox Chapel Country Day School celebrated its 50th Anniversary. A major addition to join two buildings and create a new space for Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten was completed in 1999. Additionally, the 20 year-old playground, a vital part of every school day, was replaced prior to the 2011-2012 school year. Mr. Richard K. Whiteman, Headmaster Emeriti